Saturday, February 2, 2008

A New Horse!



It took some looking (and two trips to Europe after the horse from the first trip didn't vet and we didn't find a suitable back-up), and countless hours spent watching videos of completely unsuitable horses. In fact, for me, the search seemed so endless as to be hopeless but Jürgen and Susan didn't give up hope. (My budget was low, since I only had the insurance money from Promise and she was under-insured, and Jürgen insisted that I needed a horse that would get me OFF those damn circles, one that I could show right away and start moving forward with; he wanted confirmed changes, show experience, a good mind. He said he'd lost enough hair already, that he didn't need to worry about my safety, LOL. Susan strongly agreed with him, and both were determined to find me just such a mount. I didn't think one existed at my budget, not that was healthy and not close to retirement.)

We made our second trip to Europe January 21 - 28. Susan had bilateral knee surgery on December 28, so we didn't think she'd be able to join us. She recovered so quickly, however, that we were able to bring her along (Want cheap last minute plane fare? Check out www.cheapflights.com to find the best bargains. I got her flights on Delta for less than I paid for mine 3 weeks in advance!) It was great having her along (and educational for her, too, since she's studying German at the University of San Diego. We laughed a lot and had a great time, and she was VERY opinionated (what else is new?) about the horses we tried. She rode the horses we considered for me before I did (so did Jürgen on most of them, but not on the day that we found my new boy--he could tell as much by watching Susan ride and he trusted Susan not to get herself killed in making sure they were safe enough for me). The first we tried was lovely--I could have been very happy with him. The second, not so much (I didn't ride him after he bolted with Susan. She giggled and said she loved him but he was NOT for me--"I like my mom" was her comment), and then I rode the love of my life.

I didn't know there WAS such a horse... so beautiful and elegant, and so uphill that he'd need stilts for his hindlegs in order to go on his forehand. Kind, patient, well-trained. Needs to be ridden more through, but we're pros at that at my barn, so two or three weeks and that issue will be history. The big thing is he was so much FUN and he met all of our criteria. When I got off of him, I had a wrap around grin on my face and tears in my eyes... and I was a giggling idiot. I knew, absolutely, that he was the one. I was 100% hopelessly in love, and there was no going back.

Thankfully, he has passed vet and now I can call him mine (or at least I'll be able to as soon as the bank transfer goes through.., but that's just a formality).

So, I'm pleased to introduce PURPLE RAIN, an 11 year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding by Jaccardo. He's dark bay (nearly black) with 3 small ermines and a tiny tiny tiny star on his forehead, and he's going to be the most loved gelding on the planet. I can't wait until I can introduce him to everybody in person.

Thank you, Jürgen and Susan, for not giving up. My dreams are coming true.

No comments: