Sunday, February 25, 2007

December 17, 2006: Bridle Woes Redux

The bridle issue continues...

The crescent dropped noseband bridle worked, but the Kavalkade quality was horrid--the metal started flaking after the third day of use, even though I had only cleaned it with clear water after each use. It was obvious that it would soon start wearing against Quila’s cheeks, causing irritation and/or injury, and that it was not going to hold-up. I returned it.

I was using it with a Passier Gemini bridle (sans the crank noseband and flash), so I simply put the missing pieces back together in the bridle. That’s working now, and actually, she behaves so well and is so comfortable with them, that they are both quite loose with a good bit of daylight visible around each. No tongue. I did find that the Myler bit didn’t work well with this set-up, though, so we’re back to her old Dewsbury double-broken snaffle. She’s got a nasty rub on her cheek right now that worries me a bit--but I’m not sure whether it’s from the Myler and if it heals, she’ll be good with her old Dewsbury again, or whether I’ll have to figure out something different bit-wise (maybe an Eggbutt?) She has chubby cheeks, and it looks like perhaps she’s getting pinched by the bit ring.

The mouth problems do appear to be solved, however, and that is a good thing. NOW, if only I can remember that I have legs and a seat and use them 100% of the time when I ride. Yesterday, she was a bit stiff and cranky--it was cold and windy--and I was so focussed on working on that that I forgot to to push her through to the bridle, so when she decided she could be the boss, she was having a great time for a good long while until I realized what the problem was and actually closed my legs. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

It was an epiphany of sorts, though, because I realized that it is also what I do sometimes while riding a test. I get so involved in the test that I give her the aids, but I don’t use the same “you-will-do-this” power that I used in the warm-up or while riding at home. If she’s good, that’s fine. If not, well, she wins and we ride her test. I asked Jürgen to remind me to flip the power switch to the “ON” position before every test--I think it will help.

No comments: