Sunday, February 25, 2007

June 4, 2006: Riding Collection

I had another lesson with Fabian yesterday. We started to work on our extensions, but the collection just wasn’t there... To paraphrase Jürgen, we didn’t have the tension in the coiled spring to generate the energy for the extensions, so our lesson plan changed almost from the outset.

Collection in the trot has become easy for us, but we’re still working harder to achieve it in the canter because that’s the gait where Quila is most adept at suckering me into a pulling war. We’ve made tremendous progress in that regard--I only need occasional reminders about my contact in the bridle, and for the most part, I’m able to both keep her from leaning against my hands, and to resist the urge to pull--but coordinating my seat, leg and hands to keep her frame shortened and collected requires maximum concentration on my part, still. Riding simple changes has been a great exercise for both of us to help Quila sit and use her hind end, and to help me practice coordinating my skills, since I’ll fail miserably if I’m not using my aids properly.

I have a tendency to get my upper body forward in the canter, and that’s one of my biggest enemies to collection. Combine that with a tendency to hold the rein a fraction too long in the half halt, and Quila welcomes the opportunity to pull me forward, and start “the war.” As a visual, Fabian told me that I should become a “granny in a rocking chair”, and that I should make full use of the back of the chair... Grannies NEVER lean forward in their rocking chairs, after all. They sit back, resting against the seat back. And I should think of my hand like a granny’s tremor, with very rapid, almost shake-like (but controlled) request through the rein when I’m asking for the transition to walk (my seat/legs having the larger part of the conversation). The rein should be soft and quick like a granny’s tremor... his demonstration to me made me laugh, but it also made the point. We rode much better simple changes after that.

He also said something else, “Don’t pull. Keep the contact light so you can feel and speak to her mouth.” I know that, but somehow putting it in that manner spoke to me.

Pulling is wrong. I know it. I cringe when I see other riders do it, but somehow, when I ask, and the horse resists and pulls back, it just happens. (Usually in down transitions). And I don’t realize I’m even doing it. I hate it. It doesn’t happen often, or even every ride, but when Quila feels like having things her own way, it will. And it must stop. NOW.

No comments: