Sunday, February 25, 2007

January 10, 2007: Please Deposit Another 25¢

Quila’s work ethic has been superb lately, and the quality of her work is the best it has ever been--but that doesn’t mean that she doesn’t get tired and have an opinion as to when it is time to quit!

The smart mare (and she is a smart and thinking mare), dropped a not-so-subtle hint on me yesterday. We were doing a nice working trot across the diagonal (it was late in the lesson, so it would have been cruel for me to ask for a medium), and as we approached X, she suddenly veered, faced C squarely, and gave me a perfect halt. It happened so suddenly that it was done before my synapses registered it--I mean, who expects a horse to halt in the middle of a medium trot??? We NEVER approach a halt at X from the diagonal. She’d clearly planned it, though, and she snuck it in there very carefully, without any slowing until the last second (which is the way she usually does her halt/salute).

I have to say that she was VERY good natured when I laughed and said, “Nice try, but we’re not done working yet.” She was quick to my aids, no argument, and did all that I asked for the remainder of the ride. She apparently just felt the need to express an opinion, and having done so, was content to follow to my lead.

No comments: