Sunday, February 25, 2007

January 3, 2007: Update on THE BOOK

OK, I admit it....

I’m terrible about blogging.

But I’ve been working really hard on my book, and I’ve got a lot of work done in the last few weeks. A LOT!

After some excellent and painfully honest critique from my P&P group, I’ve reworked my “blurb” about the book (the official word for it in the lingo is “logline”), and I’m now back revising, from the beginning, with a change in focus. I realized I had too many story lines going... or rather, that the focus wasn’t clear on just whose story it was. It’s not that there can’t be subplots--there can and must--but there can only be one main plot, and I was fuzzy on that point. So, I’m fine-tuning in that regard.

I don’t mind. I actually feel really good because I feel like I have a clear view now of where I’m going, what I have left to do, and so forth. No more muddy water. And the only real casualty was Elizabeth’s husband. Poor Ed had to die (not in the book, but before it started) of a heart attack while jogging--exchanged business in Japan for “The Big One,” he did, but it had to be. The rest of the scenes just needed rearranging, perhaps a change of emphasis, but otherwise they survived.

You can find the new logline (blurb) here.

No comments: